Dallas Dhu was the last of the Speyside distilleries to be connected with that great Victorian entrepreneur Alexander Edward, the site for the plant being on his estate. In 1898, he hired the legendary distillery architect Charles Doig to build the new plant and a year later it was in full production. The year after he had sold it to the blending firm Wright & Greig, whose brand was Roderick Dhu.
It passed into the hands of Benmore Distillers which became part of DCL in 1929. Wright & Greig itself followed suit and its old HQ in Glasgow would in time become the home of DCL’s engineering division.
Like many distilleries, it was silent throughout the 1930s – it also caught on fire in 1939 – and wasn’t operational again until 1947.
It was closed in 1983 and sold to Historical Scotland in 1986 who opened it as a distillery museum.