Built in 1811 at the highest point in the city of Glasgow, at its peak Port Dundas was the largest distillery in Scotland, termed the blending powerhouse of Scotland. The distillery was one of the founding members of the grain distillers’ conglomerate DCL. In 1860, it merged with a neighbouring distillery, Cowlairs and another neighbouring distillery, Dundashill, was also absorbed by the site in 1902. It managed to survive two fires at the start of the 20th century, though it was closed for the duration of World War II.
Port Dundas produced grain whisky used in the Johnnie Walker, J&B, Bell's, Black & White, Vat 69, Haig and White Horse blended whisky brands owned by Diageo. The site would produce 39 million litres of spirit each year before it was closed for good. Unfortunately, after over a century of distilling, in 2010 Diageo decided to focus their efforts on grain production elsewhere, and in 2011 the site was demolished.