- World Whisky
- Special Collections
- We Buy Casks
Glenesk whisky distillery was located in the Eastern Highlands, and was founded in 1897. It was closed during the First World War, and reopened as a grain whisky distillery in 1938.
In 1964 its name was changed to ‘Hillside’ and it resumed operations as a malt distillery. The name reverted to Glenesk in 1980, but the distillery was closed down in 1985, lost its license in 1992, and was demolished in 1996.
Among its single malts, Glenesk also contributed a major part to the ‘VAT 69’ blend.
The other name for this distillery were Highland Esk, North Esk, or Montrose Esk.